Its What I Do: Book Report



I have a great many favorite parts of Lynsey Addario's book, and I think it would be almost impossible to pick just one that stood out more than the rest. With that in mind, a part that stood out for me was in Chapter 4, when Addario was in Pakistan photographing right after the 9/11 attack. On page 73, she talks about how she got harrased by the Pakistani men. I think a lot of people don't realize how different it feels being a women, and while this was an extreme case, it highlighted what a lot of us have gone through. In a mans world with a mans career, just getting noticed and feeling accomplished is something impossible without feeling the oppression of trying to make it in a world that doesn’t give you quite the same chances.

I think Addarios work stands out mostly because of the quantity, if anything was happening, she was there. She also got a lot of shots that you don't normally see. Not only did she get pictures of soldiers in battle, but also soldiers on their down time, laughing and shaving and being human. She seemed to get pictures most people wouldn’t even think to get, which helped to humanize her subjects.

I think Addario, more than anything, wants to influence the world and she is not afraid of what that means. She takes risks many of us wouldn't dream of, and I think that also means she’s seen sides of people none of us will ever see. To me, it seems that because she got over the initial fear, the first step, she doesn't have the same fears. We fear what we don't know and don't understand and the only way to get over that is to put yourself in a place to understand. While she knows the risks, she also knows the risks of not going, and those seem far greater. I would love that kind of passion.

                             

Like picking a favorite anecdote, it seems almost impossible to pick a favorite picture. They all tell their own story, so they can’t really be compared. If I had to choose one that moved me I guess I would pick a picture on page 91 of Indian men bathing in the streets. I think I like this one cause when you think of a culture we are unfamiliar with, sometimes it’s easy to forget they are also humans, who do simple things like wash their hair and brush their teeth. I also enjoyed the picture above for similar reasons. A home in the middle of a war, trying to hold on to some sort of order in chaos, something most of us will never have to go through.

One quote that stood out for me was on page 146. “Trying to convey beauty in war was a technique to try to prevent the reader from looking away or turning the page in response to something horrible. I want them to linger, to ask questions.” I liked this quote because it shows that she really cares about educating the public, even those who are unaware they are being educated. We need people who want to show us the truth, not just get the best picture or make the most money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Live Action Aladdin Review

Humans of LBCC: Christopher Batman and Elisa Kanoff

Photo Story: Heartland Humane Society